Thursday, July 3, 2014

AP Chemistry Question of the Day --58

Welcome back to my blog. Here is question 57 I posted earlier:
The correct answer is C. This is a typical chemical equilibrium question. According to Le Chaterlier's Principle, when there is a disturbance applied to an equilibrium, the equilibrium will shift to the direction to minimize the disturbance. From the graph, it can be seen that hydronium concentration decreased. This indicate the equilibrium shifted to the left. 
Addition of HCl will increase hydronium concentration since HCl is a strong acid and it dissociate into hydronium ion and chloride ion when dissolved in water. 
Since the reaction is exothermic, decreasing the temperature will shift it towards the products. As a result, hydronium concentration will increase.
Change in volume only shifts equilibrium involving gas. As there is no gas in this equilibrium, volume will not affect the equilibrium.

Following is question 58 of the series:
58. A mixture of 64g oxygen and 66g of CO2 are contained in a vessel exerting a total pressure of 980mmHg. Find the pressure exerted by each gas?

I will post the answer in my next post.

Thank you very much for visiting my blog. I am available to discuss any topics in Chemistry at all levels. Please shoot me an email at vancouverchemistrytutor@gmail.com or give a call at 604-808-6827.

No comments:

Post a Comment