Friday, May 30, 2014

AP Chemistry Question of the Day --53

Welcome back to my blog. Here is question 52 I posted yesterday.

52. An 11.1L sample of 0.25mol oxygen gas is converted to ozone. If all the oxygen is converted to ozone, what will the volume of ozone be?

This is a typical stoichiometry question. To solve the question, we have to correctly write the chemical equation and properly balance it.  Ozone and oxygen are allotropes (do you still remember what is allotropes? Allotropes are different forms that an element can exist in) of oxygen and their formula are O3 and O2 respectively.

The balanced chemical reaction should be:

According to the chemical equation, 3mol of oxygen gas will produce 2mol of ozone gas. as a result, 0.25mol of oxygen should produce:
What is the volume of the ozone gas then? Recall Avogadro's law which states that  at constant temperature and pressure, the volume is directly proportional to the mole number. Since 0.25mol oxygen occupies 11.1L. apparently it is not STP. Or else, it should be approximately 0.5mol roughly 11.2L.  We know for ideal gas, the identity of the gas does not matter. As long as they have the same mole numbers, at the same T and P, the volume would be same. As a result, the volume of the ozone would be:

Pay attention that I kept 2 sig figures for my answer because the mole number of ozone has 2 sig fig.

In stoichiometric calculations, dimensional analysis is key. Make sure you align your expressions properly so that the unit can cancel out and only left with what you are asked for.

Here is Question 53 of the series:

53.  A solution appears yellow.  It must be absorbing in the  
    (a) yellow only    (b) red only    (c) green only    (d) blue only   (e) purple only. 

 I will post the answer in my next blog.

Thank you very much for reading my post, I am available to discuss any topics in chemistry. Please give me a call at 604-808-6827 or email me at vancouverchemistrytutor@gmail.com. My website is located at www.vancouverchemistrytutor.com.

Regards!

No comments:

Post a Comment