Friday, September 13, 2013

AP Chemistry Question of the Day --27



Welcome back to my blog. Here comes the answer to question 26 I posted yesterday. The correct answer is A

NaCl is an ionic compound. The melting points  and boiling points of ionic compounds are determined by the strength of Coulombic attractions between the cation and the anion. The higher charge the ions carry and the shorter distance between the ions, the stronger the Coulombic attraction. 

Since Cl ion has a larger radius than F ion,  the distance between the ions are longer in NaCl and thus the attraction is weaker in NaCl. NaCl will have a lower boiling point compared to NaF. Answer A is right. 


Following is Question 27 of the series. 

27.
A sample of N2O5 was placed in an evacuated container, and the reaction represented above occurred. The value of P(N2O5) , the partial pressure of N2O5(g), was measured during the reaction and recorded in the table below.






Which of the following correctly describes the reaction?
(A) The decomposition of N2O5 is a zero-order reaction.
(B) The decomposition of N2O5 is a first-order reaction.
(C) The decomposition of N2O5 is a second-order reaction.
(D) The overall reaction order is 3.


I will post the answer and explanation tomorrow. 

Thank you very much for reading my post, I am available to discuss any topics in AP chemistry. Please give me a call at 604-808-6827 or email me at vancouverchemistrytutor@gmail.com. My website is located at www.vancouverchemistrytutor.com.

Regards!

No comments:

Post a Comment